Thursday, February 1, 2007

The lonely life of bloggers

One of my interest about the Internet, beyond technology, is the impact the Web and the Internet have on human behavior and it's social impact. I started blogging in October 2002, so I guess it makes me an early adopter of this medium.
"Bloggers are living in a world where emotions may be real but everything else is make-believe, says a University of Calgary professor in a new book." Globe and Mail
I read with interest a post on One Degree about an article of the Globe and Mail... This article depict bloggers as asocial and lone souls. Although I haven't read professor Keren of the University of Calgary new books, just looking at the cover gives you a pretty good idea of the author's opinion...

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with this article, and probably with the authors mindset:
"they are not real", "who cares if they're not real people?"
I digress... blogs are made by human beings, and are read by human beings... how can this be unreal? Only the medium and reach have evolved.

Then it goes on to talk about the fact that few people achieve fame, and most people remain in the dark. Blogging to get fame is akin to funding a company to get rich... That's the wrong way to do it. You blog or you start a company because you believe you can offer something unique, something of interest to others, or simply because you are "rich" enough to do what you like. And "rich" doesn't necessarily means money, it's the leisure of having the time to blog.

I blog and I read other's blog by interest, to share and discover new ideas, open my mind and learn about people without being constrained by the limits of my physical surrounding.

And trough mine and others blogs, I'm able to meet people, real human beings, and in some case, meet them in person. That's how I got to organize the monthly Web Analytics Wednesday and got to know new people: this is real.